Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Impossible Puzzle- for my wife

I don’t understand your face.
Passion of anger
forgetting acceptance.
Love for those
who don’t deserve it,
but you refuse to take it back.

You say the pieces
of your broken heart
will not fit back together,
but they don’t need to.

Give them away,
they’re just pieces.
Once you let go
a new organ will appear,
and this time your brain
will have memories
of past wrongs
so your heart can breath free,
living a little longer
with every skipped beat.

1 comment:

Juno said...

I really liked this poem. I was amused by the way you altered a cliche by combating it with "Give them away, they’re just pieces." [in refernece to the pieces of one's heart]. I know the exact situation you are in just from reading this piece. I aslo very much enjoyed the idea of allowing your brain to hold "memories of past wrongs so your heart can breath free, living a little longer
with every skipped beat,". I felt that this portion was strong and gave the entire poem a lasting-in-your-mind-even-after-you-read-it-power. In addition, I also liked your use of personification.
Great poem Shay!!